If you’re looking to set New Year’s goals or resolutions, we have another suggestion worth considering.
Table of Contents
- Audio Article: Setting New Year’s Goals
- New Year’s Goals
- 8 Steps to Setting—and Achieving—Your New Year’s Goal
- Daily Visioning
At iCreateDaily, we’re all about a strong dose of daily doing blended with perpetual learner’s mind with a “question everything ” attitude. We’re all about doing what works best for you. AND… that whatever works best for you, may not be what works best for us or the next person, and vice versa.
Audio Article: Setting New Year’s Goals
A part of self discovery is identifying the things you’re doing that are because you think you should… because society said so… or because of a date on the calendar. Or… if it’s because you really think it, believe it or have found it to work for you.
Now, with all the disclaimers out of the way, we’re sharing our thoughts and perspectives on New Year’s Goals over New Year’s Resolutions.
New Year’s Goals
Everyone knows that more often than not, resolutions don’t last. Just go to a gym in January, then again in March, and you’ll see the evidence. And it’s not just about fitness. That’s just the easy location to target. It happens universally across all aspirational pursuits.
Resolutions fall by the wayside.
Set goals and work them daily.
Your goals are the horizon you aim for
to get to where you want to go,
one goal, one day at a time.
The day is the way.
~LeAura Alderson, iCreateDaily.com
8 Steps to Setting—and Achieving—Your New Year’s Goal
Instead of a list of resolutions, set goals. Start by asking yourself where you want to be this time next year.
“When I have arrived at my horizon goal, I will…….”
1. Reflect about where you are now versus where you want to be a year from now.
2. Identify a challenging yet achievable goal for the most growth and progress this year.
3. Brainstorm a list of all that comes to mind as to what’s needed to bring this to fruition.
4. Incubate on your list through the day and night.
5. Outline what needs to happen first. Don’t worry about having it perfectly planned out.
6. Schedule your action plan on a journal and/or your calendar:
- Month 1
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3
- Week 4
7. Do. Daily.
8. Vision. Daily. “When I have arrived at my year’s goal, I will…….”
Rinse and Repeat
After you’ve created your first month’s list, add the first few steps to Week One. At the end of Week One, go back to your month’s list and flesh out Week Two and so forth each week.
The biggest difference in goals and resolutions is that with goals you’re setting specific goals with the actions needed to get them done.
To set a goal of writing a book is vague. To set the goal of writing a book in 90 days is specific. E.g., let’s imagine your goal is to write a novel in 90 days.
Goal: Write a book in 90 days
Average novel: 300 pages x 75,000 words = 250 words per page
- Write 10 pages per day @250 word = 2500 words/day
- 10 pages/day x 30 days = 300 pages and 75,000 words
- 70 Pages – sounds like a lot, doesn’t it…? But… it’s just 10 pages/day
- 10 Pages/day
- ~2 hours writing per day at 21 words per minute = 2,520.
For perspective, the outline above is 60 words. These two sentences are 21 words, so 21/minute sounds doable, doesn’t it?
So you see… to write a book in 90 days sounds overwhelming. One day at a time? Doable. Totally.
At this rate, in just 4 weeks, your book will be written. That gives you the 2nd month for editing and editors, and the third month for publishing, marketing and promoting.
That’s why setting and working your goals one day at a time, works.
We find that daily visioning is an integral part of achieving your goals. This is where you mentally and emotionally prepare yourself and train your mindset to become the future that you’re working toward.
Ask yourself this daily, preferably in meditation, visualization time and/or as you go to sleep at night:
“When I have arrived at my year’s goal, I will…….”
Alternate expanding on these one at a time. Like creating a painting, or writing a chapter, each aspect can be developed and take more form over time.
“By the end of this year…….”
- What will I look like… be wearing?
- What expression is on my face?
- How will I feel inside?
- What will be my sense of self?
- What will be my sense relative to being on track and living my purpose
- How will my new found confidence at my ability to achieve my goals, impact me and my ability to do the next most important thing to me?
- At the end of this year, I am enjoying a wonderful celebration of my success with ______ at ______. (Perhaps it will be a wonderful dinner out with….).
The perfect plan never survives reality without tweaks. Tweaks are discovered in the field of daily doing.
~LeAura Alderson, iCreateDaily.com
Start. Sustain. Succeed. iCreateDaily!™
The day is the way.
And… the other way? Gratitude.
Hello! I’m LeAura, a philosopher, generalist, autodidactic former homeschooling mom, personal development advocate, entrepreneur, writer, editor, author, ideator, media publisher, and podcaster, passionate about helping others achieve their best possible life! We’re a media publishing company run by our small family of entrepreneurs, writers, and creators on around topics we enjoy, such as gardening, health and fitness, creativity and pets, with more to come.
While my greatest teacher is Life… my formal training includes certifications in mediation, fitness trainer, and strategic intervention coaching, including marriage and family. My favorite thing ever is helping people discover and grow their incredible potential.
Today, the synergy of creating websites, articles and podcasts, brings together all my favorite things: family, learning, growth, creating, connecting and contributing. To share these with you is a privilege, that serves my lifelong aspiration to help others.
My personal areas of creativity are in writing, masterminding, ideation, synthesis and bringing ideas to life through business and entrepreneurship.
Want to submit your photos, videos and/or article content for publication? We love to consider your contribution for publication! firstname.lastname@example.org