What is a Podcast?
Podcasts are the new radio, only better, with little to no commercials.
Podcasts are audio blogs that allow you to listen through audio streaming or downloads to ipod and other digital devices. All smartphones are equipped with a podcast app that is preloaded on your phone, (or else downloadable for free). It’s a lot like logging onto your NetFlix or iTunes or Amazon Prime account for a movie or book, but instead, you can search a library of options available and then access an audio file, called ‘podcast’, usually for free.
Audio Article – Best Podcast for Creators:
Wikipedia says: Podcasting, first known as “audioblogging”, has its roots dating back to the 1980s. With the advent of broadband internet and portable digital audio playback devices such as the iPod, podcasting began to catch hold in late 2004.”1)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_podcasting
WildBlessings.com says: The “pod” of podcast is borrowed from Apple’s “iPod” digital media player; and the “cast” portion of podcast is taken from Radio’s “broadcast” term.2)wildblessings.com
While you no longer have to have an iPod branded device to enjoy a podcast, that is the origin of the word, ‘podcast’.
iPod + Broadcast = Podcast
Benefits of Podcasts
With podcasts you:
- Can choose when you want to listen
- Can pause, rewind and fast forward
- Can play at 1.5-2x speed if you’re a fast thinker
- Experience authors and service providers for rapport before you invest in their book or service
- Fairly easily start and host your own podcast
- Get few to no commercials*
* Traditional radio stations tend to have up to 20-50% commercial time, depending on whether it’s music or talk radio. (Talk has more commercials, in part because they have to pay the “talent” and syndications more than the music royalties on music radio. 3)http://triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/6720396-74/advertising-conservative-radio4)https://www.quora.com/On-average-what-percentage-of-air-time-on-the-radio-is-advertising-vs-actual-content-music-DJ-etc-What-about-television/answer/Steve-Hoffman-14
Who You Hang Out With
We listen to podcasts when we’re getting ready in the morning, when cooking, doing laundry, cleaning up, and when getting ready for bed in the evening.
You know the concept of “you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with”? Well, with podcasts, you have a chance to expand your “circle” of positive influencers. While you may never meet the podcast hosts, it’s the next best thing to being at “the coffee” or “dinner party” or “presentation” yourself.
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”
~ Jim Rohn
Best Podcasts for Creatives
- Unthinkable with Jay Acunzo: An NPR style podcast where Jay uncovers the stories of businesses succeeding using unconventional marketing ideas.
- Chase Jarvis Live:Chase and some of the world’s top creative entrepreneurs, artists, and celebrities share stories designed to help you gain actionable insights to recognize your passions and achieve your goals.
- iCreateDaily Podcast: iCreateDaily is a video podcast for artists in every genre of creating, from musicians to writers, crafters to inventors, bloggers to entrepreneurs.
Best Podcasts for Writers
- The Creative Penn with Joanna Penn: interviews, inspiration, and information on writing and creativity, publishing options, book marketing and creative entrepreneurship.
- The Portfolio Life with Jeff Goins: Jeff shares thoughts & ideas that will help you to pursue work that matters, make a difference with your art & discover your true voice.
- The Writer’s Panel: Ben Blacker’s The Writers Panel is an ever-expanding anthology of live convention panels and intimate in-studio interviews with the writers, producers, and showrunners responsible for all the shows you can’t stop watching.
Best Podcasts for Entrepreneurs
- Impact Theory – an interview series that explores the mindsets of the world’s highest achievers to learn their secrets of success. Through hours of research into each guest, Tom does an amazing job featuring stories of some of our favorite people.
- EOFire with John Lee Dumas – great variety of creative entrepreneurs from all facets of business and the arts. Some say this podcast is formulaic, because of the repetitive structure of all of the podcasts, where every guest answers the same question, however, it is the one way that host, John Lee Dumas has been able to accomplish a daily podcast, (yes, DAILY!) since 2012. He’s now considered one of THE top podcast experts, and offers a number of free courses on podcasting as well.
- Freedom Fastlane with Ryan Moran – Ryan is an amazing success story in the eCommerce world. Ryan made his first millions selling yoga mats on Amazon before he was 29 years old. Today Ryan runs a multi-million dollar company with many facets, from running businesses to partnering in them; from coaching entrepreneurs to hosting one of the most successful entrepreneur conferences in the world, Freedom Fastlane, now known as The Capitalism Conference.
- Self Made Man with Mike Dillard – More than for just men, this podcast features a wide array of successful entrepreneurs with interesting stories and helpful perspectives to anyone with a desire to grow big business. Even if you’re not planning on growing your own empire, by listening to those who have, it helps to inspire and motivate you to do more than you thought possible.
- The Tim Ferriss Show with Tim Ferriss: One of the top business podcasts, Tim interviews top-performing creators, investors, authors, journalists, celebrities, and entrepreneurs.
Best Podcasts for Business & Marketing
(Because we have to sell what we create, right?!)
- The Marie Forleo Podcast: An audio version of MarieTV, Marie answers questions from her fans to help them create a business and life they love.
- The Science of Social Media with Buffer: produced by one of the top social media scheduling apps, The Science of Social Media is all about the social marketing industry. The two co-hosts dive into current trends, marketing stories, analytics, and the latest tactics in social media.
- Online Marketing Made Easy by Amy Porterfield: How do I start an online business? Grow my email list to thousands of subscribers? Sell more and grow faster? These are just some of the big questions that leading online marketing strategist, Amy Porterfield, digs into on the top-ranked Online Marketing Made Easy Podcast.
Best Podcasts for Motivation
- Gary Vaynerchuk (caution, expletives abound, but Gary delivers great kick-you-in-the-booty content to keep you fired up)
- Lewis Howes – Lewis is an authentic, genuine, gentlemanly good guy. He picked himself up off the sofa and turned his fate around by taking action and doing it daily.
- Tony Robbins – We’ve followed Anthony Robbins for years now. He’s always charging us up with his dynamic messages on personal power.
There are thousands of podcasts spanning tons of different genres from art to zen. We’d love to hear some of your favorites, so feel free to send an email or post on our Facebook page!
When you elevate yourself, you also elevate those around you.
~LeAura Alderson, iCreateDaily.com
Start. Sustain. Succeed. iCreateDaily!
The Day is The Way!
Want to submit your photos, videos and/or article content for publication? We love to consider your contribution for publication! firstname.lastname@example.org
References [ + ]